Alyssa H. Silver, MD
- Practice Specialty
- Yale - New Haven Hospital
- Board Certified
- Academic Title
- Assistant Professor, Clinical Pediatrics
- Administrative Title
- Co-Director, Hospital Medicine Elective for Residents
- Clinical Focus
- As a pediatric hospitalist, Dr. Silver specializes in the inpatient care of children hospitalized with a wide range of medical conditions.
- Research Focus
- Alyssa H. Silver, MD, has a keen interest in clinical research, with a main focus on the care of infants hospitalized with bronchiolitis. She was accepted into the Academic Pediatric Association’s Research Scholars Program. Together with Katherine M. O’Connor, MD, Dr. Silver completed the first US randomized double-blind, controlled clinical trial to assess the effectiveness of exclusive use of hypertonic saline in infants hospitalized with bronchiolitis. She has presented her work at several prestigious national conferences. She is also involved in several clinical research studies utilizing the AHRQ’s Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project Kids’ Inpatient Database on comparative effectiveness and outcomes research in urinary tract infections, osteomyelitis and bronchiolitis. The goal of this initiative is to improve the care of children hospitalized with these diagnoses.
Silver, AH and Nazif, JM. “Myocarditis”. In: American Academy of Pediatrics Pediatrics Section on Hospital Medicine, Rauch DA and Gershel JC, eds. Caring for the Hospitalized Child: A Handbook of Inpatient Pediatrics. Elk Grove Village, Ilinois, 2013, 47-51.
Nazif, JM and Silver, AH. “Pericarditis”. In: American Academy of Pediatrics Pediatrics Section on Hospital Medicine, Rauch DA and Gershel JC, eds. Caring for the Hospitalized Child: A Handbook of Inpatient Pediatrics. Elk Grove Village, Ilinois, 2013, 53-58.
Dr. Silver earned her medical degree from Georgetown University School of Medicine after completing her undergraduate work at Georgetown University. She completed her residency training in pediatrics at Yale-New Haven Children’s Hospital. She practiced pediatric hospital medicine at both St. Barnabas Hospital in Bronx, NY and Santa Clara Valley Medical Center in San Jose, CA, with academic affiliations at Weill Cornell Medical College and Stanford University School of Medicine, respectively. She joined the faculty of the Children’s Hospital at Montefiore in 2008.
As a hospitalist, Dr. Silver optimizes the care of hospitalized children. In doing so, she provides the best, evidence-based care, while partnering with patients and their families to maximize outcomes and minimize the discomforts of being in the hospital.
Dr. Silver has spearheaded the development of an elective in pediatric hospital medicine for residents. This initiative allows trainees to gain exposure to various roles in hospital medicine.
She also served as the Director of the Inpatient Pediatric Physician Assistant Services from 2009-2013.